When I posted my hardware makeover on Monday I promised to show you how it looked on the triple dresser.
I’m so excited that I finally finished it. I was worried that I wasn’t going to get it done in time because it was incredibly windy here on Sunday and we had a couple of power outages.
But luck prevailed and here it is. Yay!!!
I’ve never worked with chalk paint before… homemade or store bought, but for this piece I decided to go for it. I’m always up for trying a new paint treatment.
Here’s a sneak peek at the finished dresser.
Here’s what it looked like before. It was originally a wood laminate from John’s bachelor days in the early 1980’s. The emerald green is the colour of the year now, but I can no longer stand it after about 18 years. It was long overdue for a change.
You can find homemade chalk paint recipes all over the internet but here’s the one I used.
1 part Plaster of Paris ( because I had some on hand)
1 part warm water
1 part paint
I mixed the plaster and warm water first and then added the green paint once it was nice and smooth. I didn’t actually do any measuring I just guesstimated.
One thing I did learn about homemade chalk paint is to just make what you’re going to need. The next day it had solidified, and even though I could add water to it and mix it up again it wasn’t usable…. it was way too gritty. So I had to make up a new batch for the second coat.
This chalk paint covered the old melamine paint beautifully, but it was a little gritty. I probably didn’t mix the plaster and water enough before I added the paint and used it. I can be a little impatient at times. Who me? lol.
Not sure what was going on with the light the day I took these pics because the colour came out very yellow. This is soooo wrong!!! It’s a lime green. You’ll see that the colour looks more true down below.
This is after two coats of the green chalk paint, and then I sanded. Because I couldn’t work on it outside I put the dresser on an old painting sheet and it collected the paint dust, and then I just rolled it up and took it outside and shook it out.
I did all the sanding by hand, slow and steady. Then I used dry paper towels to push the paint dust off the top and wipe if off of the rest of the dresser, and it just fell nicely onto the sheet. The paint dust was heavy enough that it didn’t go everywhere like drywall dust will.
I let it sit for a few days and then I wiped it with lightly dampened paper towels to get any leftover residue off so it would be paint dust free before I started the dry brushing.
Now, I’m a girl who loves colour and needs it too actually… so here’s my dry brushing paint palette for this project. I didn’t use chalk paint for the dry brushing.
I just dipped my brush in the paint and wiped it off on the newsprint so there wasn’t too much on the brush. It couldn’t be easier, and the paint dries very fast this way.
First I went at the dresser with the Caribbean blue.
I had no plan here… I just went for it. I have a tendency to over think things, which can make projects more complicated than they really are. Now I’ll have to think about why I do that! lol.
So with this makeover I decided to just go for it… with no fear, and no second guessing.
Then I dry brushed some of the robin’s egg blue here and there (it’s the colour on the walls), and the Caribbean blue on the top (a little heavier).
Then the lime green on the top again and a bit here and a bit there. I’m trying to create layers of colour, with bits of the different blues peeking out from the green.
I’m not taking this too seriously at all… just having fun. I want it to look weathered and a little beaten up.
I’m just doing this for myself so whatever happens happens. If I was doing this for someone else that would be a completely different story… I’m sure I’d be a nervous wreck!!
I did a little sanding between dry brushing where I thought it needed it. No rhyme or reason.
And here it is!! The dresser all finished… according to me anyway. Ha! I’m no expert, but this is just the look I was going for.
If you’re looking at these photos in a room with fluorescent lights you may want to put on your sunglasses. lol. The colour shows as much brighter than it actually is.
Yikes… a little too much sun coming in the room in this pic below. It’s not that blindingly bright… but I was sooo happy to see the sun on an otherwise gloomy day so I wasn’t going to complain.
The layers of blue and green paint really give the top some colour depth. Look at me… sounding like I might know what I’m talking about. Or not. lol.
I think I was just enjoying the process… it reminded me of finger painting when I was a little girl. I felt so creatively free, and was having such a blast!! I almost didn’t want it to end!!
I love the way the blue and white distressed hardware looks on this dresser. I think all white would have looked too perfect. If you missed my hardware makeover post you can find it here.
The close up below is the truest to the real colour. Photos taken from a distance make the green look more yellow than it is.
This is the first time I’ve ever distressed a piece of furniture, and I’m very happy with the way it looks. The colour is so fun and alive, and it fits in perfectly with my French Caribbean guest room makeover.
I don’t plan to finish it with anything because I really love it’s weathered and worn look, and I think anything we do to it while using it will just add to its charm.
Thanks so much for reading! Have a happy and colourful day!
Wait! Don't forget to get my 15 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR HOME SMILE without redecorating! It's FREE!
Subscribe free to get access to my resource library with all my free DIY home decor printables & more!
Enter my free resource library for my latest free printables! Password is... smile Thanks for being a subscriber!!