I measured the sides at their widest points and cut the pieces of fabric to fit. Then I spread MP all over the sides, placed the fabric in place, and cut away most of the excess. I left about an inch of extra fabric to be cut away later.
I spread a layer of MP on to the fabric making sure to cover the excess fabric as well.
Here’s a pic showing the excess fabric.
The MP hardens the fabric, and makes it much easier to accurately cut the excess away. I just used a very sharp exacto knife and ran it along as shown in the pic below. You have to be careful not to push too hard… to just gently guide the knife and let it do the cutting for you.
Here it is with the excess fabric cut away from one side.
After cutting away the excess fabric from the other side as well I covered the fabric on both sides with two more coats of MP, letting it dry in between coats. It looks milky white when it first goes on, but it dries clear.
At this point I decided that the green I originally painted the inside with wasn’t working for me. I found a softer green in my paint stash, and I liked it much better.
I wanted to decoupage the drawer front as well, so I used a thrifted fabric that goes nicely with the floral. I cut the pieces about 1″ larger than what was needed, and I covered them with a light layer of MP. This makes for little or no fraying of the fabric when you cut them to the exact size once the pieces are dry.
Then I applied the MP to the drawer front and to the back of the fabric and lay the pieces in place, making sure to smooth them out as much as I could. I used a knife tip to poke the holes through the fabric for the knobs.
Once the fabric on the drawer front was dry, I covered it with two coats of the MP, letting it dry in between coats.
For the inside of the drawer I spray glued a piece of the striped fabric on to a piece of cardboard and simply lay it in the drawer. Then I dry brushed the knobs with some of the green, and then some of the blue.
And here’s my finished decoupaged impressionist night table.
Here’s the before again.
And the after.
I’m so happy to have the first piece for my guest room finished. Now that I found the inspiration for this room (the impressionist floral fabric), I have a clear idea of what I’m doing and can envision the finished room in my head. Now, on to the next project!!!
Thanks so much for reading!
Wait! Don't forget to get my 15 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR HOME SMILE without redecorating! It's FREE!
Subscribe free to get access to my resource library with all my free DIY home decor printables & more!
Enter my free resource library for my latest free printables! Password is... smile Thanks for being a subscriber!!