My name is Tuula and I am a thrifter.
My problem started at birth. My parents were thrifters when thrifting wasn’t cool (I should write a song or something), and I inherited the gene through no fault of my own.
I remember falling in love with my first thrifted item. It was way, way back in 1965 and I was just four years old… a babe really. She was a beautiful doll, almost as tall as me, with flowing blonde hair and a beautiful red velvet dress. She cost 50 cents, and I couldn’t leave the Salvation Army Store without her… and I didn’t.
I cried for her… and I mean cried… until my totally embarrassed mother bought her for me. So I was a brat rebel even then. Always testing my boundaries. What can I say? I was four!
I’m proud to say that I still have that doll. She’s the only toy I kept from my childhood. Here she is sitting on the settee in my bedroom. And no she doesn’t have a name… she’s an enigma.
What I didn’t know was that I was learning something. I was learning that I could love something that someone else didn’t, and that it was OK.
So… yes… I am a thrifter through and through. I can’t help it. It’s just a part of who I am. I would guess that easily 90% of everything that’s in our home is thrifted. Occasionally I thrift for clothing, but most of the time I’m looking for items I can use in home decor, craft, or garden projects.
Are you a thrifter?
Take part in my questionnaire below to find out.
1) When you drive by a thrift store, flea market, junk shop, or garage sale are you magnetically pulled, against your will and sometimes better judgement, to check it out?
2) Have you ever thrifted something without a clue as to what you’ll do with it because you think someday you’ll come up with a brilliant idea that no one else on the planet has ever thought of?
3) Have you ever thought, however briefly, about tackling someone who picked up an item before you did?
4) Do you feel like you need to share how little you paid for something with anyone who will listen… even when you know they don’t care?
5) When your husband/wife is talking does your mind ever wander to thoughts of your favourite thrift store or thrifted item projects?
6) Has your heart ever fluttered like a school girl’s when you’ve discovered a treasure at a great price?
7) Have you ever suffered from thrifting withdrawal, and started eyeing things in other people’s houses?
8) Do you ever stash thrifted items that your husband doesn’t know about in secret hiding places?
9) Do you ever forget where those hiding places are?
10) Do you ever forget what thrifted items you’ve stashed?
So… are you a thrifter?
If you answered yes to 3 or less questions you are not a thrifter, and you can breathe a sigh of relief.
If you answered yes to 4 or 5 questions you are a thrifter but, so far, you’re able to control yourself.
If you answered yes to 6 or 7 questions you are definitely a thrifter and you should proceed with caution, but you don’t need therapy just yet.
If you answered yes to 8 to 10 questions we should talk… because we may be related. 🙂
Thanks so much for reading! Happy thrifting!
Wait! Don't forget to get my 15 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR HOME SMILE without redecorating! It's FREE!
Subscribe free to get access to my resource library with all my free DIY home decor printables & more!
Enter my free resource library for my latest free printables! Password is... smile Thanks for being a subscriber!!