Hi everyone. I’m Ba-a-a-ck!
What happened to me? Well, I woke up one day to discover that the right side of my brain had gone on strike, literally… it was totally burnt out and was refusing to create anything until its demands were met.
I don’t know about you, but I need both sides of my brain.
The left side is good at paying bills and managing the budget… and other everyday things like that, but it’s useless when it comes to crafting, decorating, and making garden art.
Here are my right brain’s demands.
1) No thrifting every single day at lunch hour. Sometimes it just needs to eat lunch… and daydream.
I agreed to 1 or 2 days a week.
2) No more bringing home a thrifted thingy unless it has an idea for it when I see it. It can’t dream up something fabulous for every discarded thing on the planet. It’s too much pressure.
I agreed to try my best, but made no promises.
3) No more working on 10 or more projects at a time. It cannot dream in multi-screen.
I agreed to a max of 2 or 3.
4) No more living in a master bedroom that has become the place where all projects without a home end up. A cluttered room makes for cluttered dreams.
I agreed, and made some donations to my favourite thrift stores.
5) No more spending beautiful summer days inside sitting in front of the computer while it could be outside lounging on the back deck listening to the birds and smelling the flowers… and daydreaming.
I agreed. I’ll try to stick to evenings and bad weather days.
6) It needs more time for reading and writing, the old fashioned way.. with book in hand, and pen and paper. Dreaming comes naturally from both.
I happily agreed.
7) It’s tired of creating things that never get shared anywhere with anyone. It needs me to have more courage, and dream bigger.
I agreed to try.
8) I have to stop bringing home orphaned things from the dump, no matter how fabulous they are.
I reluctantly agreed, but this is a tough one for me. I see so many amazing things that people take to our local landfill and it literally pains me. Don’t people know there are Restores and thrift stores that would take this great stuff? Our landfill only has a few years left, but unfortunately I don’t have the space to rescue everything that shouldn’t be there. Oh, I need strength for this one.
9) No more bringing home every little thing (or big) that I see at thrift stores or garage sales just because it’s pretty… no matter what a great deal it is. Too much pretty can become pretty ugly.. and is not a good environment in which to dream.
I agree, and I agreed. Restraint be thy middle name.
The right side of my brain drove a hard bargain.
But after a week of very tough negotiations, followed by a week of adjusting to these demands, and then a week off on a much needed staycation… I’m recharged, and re-energized.
Apparently the right side of my brain just needs to spend more time sitting around and dreaming… and that’s totally OK with me. When it’s unhappy… I’m unhappy, and the left side of my brain is very unhappy. It doesn’t function well when the right side is having a meltdown… and neither do I.
Now we’re all happy and have been busy on my master bedroom makeover, some new garden projects, and a few other odds and sods.
Here’s a pic of just one of the things I’ve been working on. This is the before of the master bedroom sleigh bed, which has already had its makeover.
I’ll be posting it later this week and showing some master bedroom progress.
Thanks so much for reading.
It’s so good to be back with my brain fully armed again… and dangerous. lol.
Spread some right brain fabulousness somewhere today, and smile.