I’m so excited to finally be working on my sleigh bed makeover and master bedroom makeover. I was starting to think I would never get around to it.
Working full-time doesn’t often leave enough hours in the day to get room makeovers done, but with John’s help and encouragement the bedroom has been pushed to the top of the to do list. Yay!!
My new colour scheme is cream and green with hits of red (and maybe I’ll sneak in a touch or two of pink, wink wink).
It all started when I found 2 gallons of Ooops Behr Raffia Cream latex Paint/Primer combo at the Restore for $10 each. I thought hey, why not turn my colour scheme on its head? If I ever get sick of the green a neutral cream backdrop can go with so many other colours.
I’m looking forward to never, never, never painting these walls again. Hmmm… have I said that before? It sounds kinda familiar.
My old colour scheme was green and cream with accents of chaos, or should I say chaos with accents of green and cream.
Tomato, tomahto. Potato, potahto. Let’s call the whole thing… well.. a mess I guess. lol.
Oh man, I’m having w-a-a-ay too much fun!!!
In all fairness to me we don’t have the space to move everything out of a room for a redo so I have to move everything around as I go… and around and around and around. I’ll be showing the actual before shots (which are a little less messy..if you can imagine that, lol) with the final reveal.
I had an ooops (maybe more than one) with the ooops paint… but I didn’t care because the carpet was going as fast as we could get it gone.
With the walls painted I turned my attention to the sleigh bed.
I always wanted a sleigh bed, and John surprised me with this one for our 20th wedding anniversary 5 years ago. He had it delivered, and put it together before I got home from work.
I have always loved it, but I’ve also always wanted to paint it. I just have a thing for painted furniture… always have. I didn’t tell him I wanted to paint the bed until recently, and to my surprise he told me to go for it. Yay!
I’ll paint any piece of wood furniture… unless it’s a valuable antique that would help our retirement fund, which this is not.
I made my own chalk paint using some left over green wall paint… Benjamin Moore’s Sherwood Green. It’s one of their historic colours.
There are so many recipes on the internet, but I used 1 part plaster of paris, 1 part warm water, and 2 parts paint. I mixed the PofP and water really well before adding the paint, and I have to say it went on like butter.
Here’s a close up of the rope detail that goes all around the bed. It’s all in the details… isn’t it?
Next, it was time to rip out the carpeting and underpad.
I love ripping stuff up!!!!
After John and I had a throwing-the-carpet-pieces-out-the-window contest…
(he won, but only because I had bigger pieces… that may or may not be true, lol)
…it was time to remove the tacking strips. They came out pretty easy using just hammers and chisels. We used pliers to pull the underpad staples.
Under the carpet is the original 1″ thick hardwood floor. When we moved into this house in 1998 we removed the existing carpeting and lived with the bare floors for awhile. This painted floor was there at the time.
I had planned on repainting all of the upstairs wood floors, but had a rather demanding full-time job at the time and just couldn’t get it done. We also decided that we wanted to have warm winter tootsies so we had the carpeting that we just removed put down. That was about 15 years ago.
Well, this winter we’ll be wearing warm winter slippers because after this room the hall and the guest bedroom carpets are getting tossed too. All the floors will be repainted, and I can’t wait.
See that cedar chest? Well it’s been primed and ready for its makeover for abut 3 years. Terrible… I know, but it’s finally going to get one now.
Even though the floor is a bit of a mess with all the paint chips from the nails and staples I absolutely love it. I think it already looks so much better than the carpet. I’m no stranger to painting floors. I’ve done a few in the past and I’m looking forward to getting this one done.
I thrifted this king size cross stitched duvet cover last year for $5. It’s all hand done, and has been waiting for this room makeover. Our bed is only a queen, so it hangs far down either side and hides the box spring.
It just amazes me that someone did all of this work, and then it sadly was sold for a measely $5. At the same time I’m thrilled because I have a deep appreciation for this piece. I can’t imagine why someone would get rid of it.
This room is 11′ x 17 1/2′ and we moved the bed to the far end of the room where there are no windows so there’s more open floor space on the opposite end. I have definite plans for that side of the room. When the bed was in the middle of the room it really cut into the space.
Even though I’m only about 1/3 of the way done with this makeover I’m already so happy with it.
I’m sleeping so much better at night amidst the calmness of the space… without all the clutter. I donated a lot of things to my favourite thrift stores, but I still have to do some editing as I bring smaller things back in. I think I’m going to just enjoy it like this for a little while before I have to start moving things around again to paint the floor.
There will be more colour coming in future projects. I’m a girl who loves colour, and needs it too… so it’s definitely coming.