How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

One of my favourite things to do is make fun garden decor items, and when projects are easy and thrifty like this planter wind chime I enjoy it all the more.
How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

I had all my supplies on hand in my stash, but none of these things is too hard to find if you’d like to make one for yourself.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

To make this planter wind chime here’s what you’ll need.

large metal strainer
3 similar sets of 4 measuring spoons
9 ft dog leash chain
single layer key rings (double layer key rings will probably be too stiff)
black sharpie
measuring tape
drill with strong metal drill bit
Rustoleum Lagoon turquoise spray paint
cocoa fibre planter liner
potting soil
plants
glass of water (it was hot)

When I found the plain metal strainer at the thrift store for $1 I immediately thought of a hanging planter, and since I think almost anything can be a wind chime I thought … why not?

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

The first thing it needed was some spray paint love, so I taped over the handles with painters tape because I wanted them keep the natural metal.

Then I took it out to my handy dandy new water heater box painting station and spray painted the sides and the top of the bottom with the turquoise.

I left the bottom, the insides, and the top rim natural as well. I really love the turquoise and silver combo.

Voila. Easy peasy.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

The great thing about using measuring spoons is that they already have holes in them… no drilling required. Yay!

I simply ran the single layer key rings through the holes.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

Luckily the holes in the bottom of the strainer were spaced at just the right distance apart so it was very easy to feed the single layer key rings through… enough for 12 measuring spoons and something special to hang in the middle.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

I measured around the top of the strainer to figure out where the hanging holes should be. Then I drilled two holes in three spots in the rim to feed three of the rings through.

Before drilling I marked where I wanted my holes with the sharpie.

Then I used pliers to deconstruct some of the dog chain into 3 equal lengths and attached these to the rings, looping them all into a very strong double key ring at the top.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

At this point I changed my mind.

It is a girl’s prerogative after all, lol, and it’s always my prerogative.

I decided that I didn’t need to use all 12 measuring spoons. I thought it would look too crowded, so I removed the inner 4 key rings from the bottom, leaving the one in the centre.

Then I made 8 short hangers out of the the dog chain by simply counting the links to figure out how long I wanted the spoons to hang.

I attached the chains to the key rings on the measuring spoons, and attached the other ends to the key rings at the bottom of the strainer.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

I filled the strainer with leftover pieces of cocoa fibre that I had on hand. Love this stuff!

First I put a small piece of plastic in the bottom where the measuring spoons are hanging just so they don’t take too much abuse when I water or when it rains.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

I filled it with potting soil, added some leftover plants that hadn’t found a pot yet… some trailing petunias, a few begonias, and a dusty miller in the centre.

They were so happy to finally find a home. In time I’m sure they’ll fill in nicely.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

And because I can’t leave well enough alone I added this sweet little stained glass angel ornament at the top.

Her little heart says Follow Your Dream.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

And then, of course, I had to add a little bling (because I always always love a little bling) into the middle of the spoons with a large glass chandelier crystal hanging from the centre key ring.

Now I can call it done.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

It’ll be nice when the petunias are bigger and trailing more.

How to Make a Strainer Planter Wind Chime

We sit on the back deck most evenings during the summer just enjoying the ambiance.

We tend to have a lot of breezy days here and now we’ll be able to enjoy the sweet music from the wind chime… along with the beauty of the flowers.

If you can see one of these hanging around in your yard make a planter wind chime for yourself. It’s really quite easy, and very inexpensive if all the supplies are thrifted.

Here are some other wind chime projects if you missed them.

Thanks so much for reading, and until next time…

keep on keepin’ on!
XOX

If you’re not already a reader I’d love to have you along. Just click on any of the icons below
or subscribe to receive posts by email at the top of my sidebar.

strawberry-igottacreate-72-pinterest3sunshine72-facebook-igottacreate4soft mint72 hometalk  igottacreateasparagus72 twitter igottacreateturquoise72 igottacreate g+ copytangerine72-igottacreate-rss4

Comments

1. says

Awesome! You are so inspirational!! I have already made a wind chime using a fish hot plate using your wind chimes as my inspiration! Thank you!

2. says

If that isn't the cutest windchime! I love the turquoise/stainless combination! And the angel does look perfect right where she is! It's all so adorable!

3. says

Tuula that is just amazing! Do you dream of wind chimes and wreaths? I love this and now will be on the look-out for a strainer and measuring spoons at the thrift store. Painting it such a lovely color just adds to the pretty flowers it can hold. How beautiful that it makes a lovely sound as well!

4. says

It is Absolutely Amazing and Love the turquoise color. It really makes your garden 'pop' with color. Very clever idea using the key rings.
    Enjoy your day and have a wonderful evening

5. says

I did start to use a couple of my star aluminum colanders for planters, but I just couldn't do it. Love yours especially with the extra bling. Your yard looks amazing!

6. says

Love it! I can definitely see one hanging in my yard. I love the blue with the colors of the flowers you chose…perfect! You are such a creative lady! I'll have to keep my eye open for a colander when I'm out thrifting!

Blessings, Vicky

7. says

Where did you get the steel measuring spoons, I live in Calgary and can't find them anywhere. The ones we have here are square heads and are over 15.00 a set.

• says

Hi Pat. The measuring spoons, and pretty much everything else, I used in this project were thrifted. I found the spoon sets at thrift stores, garage sales etc. Whenever I see a set I pick them up and when I have enough I use them in a project. $15 is very dear and must be for a brand new set. I never pay more than $1. I would suggest that you check out any local thrift stores you might have in your area, and garage sale season will be starting soon too. I hope that helps. Thanks for stopping by.

8. says

Absolutely adorable !!! I'm a wind chime "nut" so this caught my eye. I'm curious about something…..I met a lady that makes wind chimes from Sterling Silver flatware….she says the stainless steel doesn't chime much nor make a nice sound……what are your thoughts? Anyway, I love what you did….it's so lovely and whimsical. Thanks for sharing.
    Kitti, Arizona

• says

Hi Kitti. I also make wind chimes from silverware and I sell them in my Spoonfuls of Whimsy Etsy shop, which will be re-opening on May 1st. I agree that stainless steel cutlery definitely does not sound as nice as silverware, but aluminum and stainless measuring spoons do sound quite nice because they're not as heavy as stainless cutlery. To each his own I always say. Silverware does sound the best, especially if hammered flat. To see more of my chimes you can check out my garden art gallery. Thanks so much for stopping by.

• says

Hi Tuula, thanks so much for replying. I see what you are saying, and it makes sense since you said the measuring spoons are so much lighter. I never thought about that. I will certainly try that. Also, I will check out your site after May 1st. Keep on being whimsical ! :) We need a lot more of whimsy in this world. :)
      Kitti

9. says

I have ask this question before please answer. I have everything to make this beautiful wind chime with spoons. My problem is that I am having trouble getting the key rings to run smoothly through the holes. They don't want to turn. Please help. Thank You Betty bboopp912@yahoo.com

• says

Hi Betty: I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem.

Key rings come in all sizes and thicknesses, so if you're having trouble that's telling me that the key rings you're using aren't right for that particular colander/strainer. The natural arc of the key ring should be equal to the space between the holes so that it runs through smoothly when you push it through.

If the key ring doesn't want to turn it's probably too thick. The thin wire key rings are much easier to work with. The double thick ones are stiffer and not very flexible.

So, assuming you're using the thick key rings I would try the thinner ones. Here I can get both types at the dollar store. If you're already using the thinner ones then you probably need a larger size.

I hope this helps.