How to Make a Scarf Christmas Tree

A little while back I made the Christmas wreath seen here from thrifted scarves . Another great way to use a scarf is to make a decorative Christmas tree. All I needed to make this tree was a dollar store Happy New Year hat, and a white thrifted scarf
Scarf Christmas Tree

I came up with this idea when I saw these hats at the dollar store. I recently went to a big box craft store when I was in a bigger city visiting family and they had 10″ styrofoam cones for $9.99. Well, that’s just too much for me to pay so I’ve been looking for an easy alternative. And I finally found it. These 18″ hats cost $2 each.

Scarf Christmas Tree

This scarf is 100% polyester and it’s sooo soft, but the best thing is that it’s knitted like muffs… in the round I think they call it. I’m not a knitter so I’m not sure.

But what this means is I can put my hand all the way through and pull one end in through the scarf to meet the other. I did this because the scarf was way too long for the hat and I didn’t want to cut it.

The double thickness  also makes it less likely that you’ll see the hat through the scarf. Once I pulled the scarf through I just placed it over the hat.

Scarf Christmas Tree

Then I pulled up the scarf, gathered it a bit so it would sit nicely on the top of the hat, and then I secured it with two safety pins at the back. I also tucked any excess at the bottom of the hat inside the bottom so it didn’t pool.

And here it is, ready to be decorated.

Scarf Christmas Tree

I used some vintage miniature glass ball ornaments, a silver star, and some silver garlands. All from my stash.

Then I simply inserted the star into the top of the hat, attached the garland at the top behind the star with a small safety pin, and added the balls using small ornament hooks. I tucked the hooks gently up into the inner layer of scarf so they weren’t seen. Here are some close ups of my finished tree.

Scarf Christmas Tree
Scarf Christmas Tree

And here’s my full tree again.

Scarf Christmas Tree

This Christmas tree cost me only $3 for the hat and the scarf. The decorations were from my stash. And I really like that everything can be reused. I just love the blue colour of the vintage glass ball ornaments. I wish I had more to add, but I only had seven.

After Christmas I’ll just take it apart and be all ready for New Year’s Eve. Whoo hoo!!

Have a fabulously festive weekend!

XOX
If you’re not already a reader I’d love to have you along. Just click on any of the icons below
or subscribe to receive posts by email at the top of my sidebar.

strawberry-igottacreate-72-pinterest3sunshine72-facebook-igottacreate4soft mint72 hometalk  igottacreateasparagus72 twitter igottacreateturquoise72 igottacreate g+ copytangerine72-igottacreate-rss4

Comments

1. says

That is SO SMART! I saw some fabulous scarves in at the Hope Chest (our hospice thrift shop) yesterday. Looks like I need to run in and grab em! Thanks so much for sharing! Love the name of your blog and can't wait to poke around for a bit! *new follower* Merry Christmas! Jules

2. says

Just found your blog through Nanny2Mommy's blog hop. I'm following you, feel free to come check out my blog and follow back if you'd like!
    Lolalucy09.blogspot.com

Joan

3. says

Found you on Nifty Thrifty's Sunday blog hop. This is the most beautiful decoration. If I hadn't seen and read the details I wouldn't have believed it. What a creative lady you are. And talk about thrifty! $3? Wow. I am sharing some lovely photos on my Monday post. Hope you don't mind but this is going to be one of them…with a link, of course.

I have started a blog hop on Wednesdays. Everyone is invited to stop by Ducks 'n a Row and share their links! New subscriber, here! :)

4. says

Very creative use of of a hat and a scarf! I passed by eight styrofoam cones at the thrift store marked fifty cents each, and then realized how cheap that was. In those few minutes someone had snapped up every one!

• says

Oh my gosh Donna! What a great deal! Sorry you missed it, but I know what you mean. I've lost a few things in the past by just thinking about it for a minute. Before I knew it there was nothing to think about any more. Thanks for stopping by!

5. says

A tree from a scarf? I was drawn in by the title right away. What a great idea. You truly are thrifty and I love it. I actually HAVE one of these scarves in my closet and will definitely be trying to make one as cute as yours. Thanks so much for sharing. Patti

6. says

Love it! You will be one of the features at Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House! Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Hope to see your prettiness again at the party. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

7. says

I made a tree close to this but I love the start and the little bulbs…Adorable!!

I'm having a PINTEREST Social hop. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and link up your Pinterest. If you don't have Pinterest it's ok, come link up your blog.

I'm also looking for Pinterest Pinners to feature every week beginning in January. If you are on Pinterest and are interested in being featured come link up! Who knows you might meet some other great pinners and gain a few great ideas.

Have a crazy beautiful week!