To remove the bulb sockets I simply bent them until they broke and then I cut the wires. I took the chandelier apart and removed all the wiring. And just like that, a ‘candelier’ was born.
I gave all the candelier parts a good wash and lightly sanded the metal parts to get rid of any loose, rusty bits. Thankfully, the rusty spots were just on the surface.
Here are my supplies.
I spray primed the metal parts of the candelier with Rustoleum Ultra Cover, and then spray painted them with Krylon Fusion White.
I put the candelier together how I wanted it. Notice the glass bowl on the top is now facing down. This is because this candelier will be hanging outside.
I glued on the discs – that used to hold the bulb sockets – with Marine GOOP adhesive.
Using the same adhesive, I glued espresso cups that I thrifted for $1 on to the discs. These charming espresso cups are decorated with french words and because this is a small candelier, they’re the perfect size. These cups are also able to handle the heat of the candles, which is very important.
I added the hanging crystals to finish it off.
Tea lights fit perfectly inside these espresso cups.
So you don’t have to scroll up, here’s the before again.
And here’s the after. I just love it. My ugly chandy became garden candy. It’s hanging on the back deck where we can enjoy it every day… and night. It glows beautifully with the candle flames reflecting against the top crystals. Night pics just didn’t do it justice, so I didn’t add any.
Here’s where it hangs… with the background of our waterlily pond and waterfall on the left, and ‘Cubby’ the carved wooden Bear on the right. The Autumn Joy sedum to the right is turning more red with every cool night. I just love this time of year. Enjoy it! I certainly plan to.
Don’t forget to pin me!
Thanks so much for reading and until next time…
keep on keepin’ on.