Setting the Garden with Plate Flowers

When coming home from my day job I pass a house that has all kinds of metal garden decor for sale on the front lawn. There are metal birds, trees, obelisks, and beautiful large metal flowers.
I’ve also seen this metal garden art at craft shows, and it can be quite expensive.
making-garden-plate-flowers

I thought that I could make my own scaled down (and inexpensive) versions of the flowers by collecting some thrifted items and putting them together.

making-garden-plate-flowers

This one is made up of a silver plated shallow bowl, a silver plated candy dish, and a silver tone flower brooch with a broken clasp.

making-garden-plate-flowers
This one includes a rhinestone brooch that I already had that doesn’t have a clasp at all.
making-garden-plate-flowers

This one has a small diffuser bottle as its centre.

I glued the pieces together to make each flower with Marine GOOP adhesive, which is clear and used with boat repair. It’s very strong and is UV and water resistant. I let them cure for about 24 hours.

Then I needed something to use for the stems.

making-garden-plate-flowers

A few years ago we replaced our aging deck swing and we kept all the parts, some of which I used for the flower stems. They were perfect because they were already green and they had flattened ends.

You can use any type of piping that you think will work. I had these on hard, and I like to reuse everything I can. If you use another kind of piping just be sure to flatten the ends that you’re gluing to the backs of the plates with a hammer for easier gluing.

I bent the ends slightly and glued them to the backs of the plates with the Marine GOOP.

I taped them in place with Gorilla tape and left them for about 24 hours until they cured completely. I used paint cans to hold the stems up.

making-garden-plate-flowers

And here are my finished plate flowers again.

And here’s what they look like in my hosta garden

What I really love about plate flowers is that no two will ever be alike because everything is thrifted. The possibilites are really endless, only limited by the imagination

What do you think? Could you see some of these in your garden?

Thanks so much for reading, and until next time…

keep on keepin on!XOX

Here are a few other garden flower projects in case you missed them.
If you’re not already a reader I’d love to have you along. Just click on any of the icons below
or subscribe to receive posts by email at the top of my sidebar.

strawberry-igottacreate-72-pinterest3sunshine72-facebook-igottacreate4soft mint72 hometalk  igottacreateasparagus72 twitter igottacreateturquoise72 igottacreate g+ copytangerine72-igottacreate-rss4

Comments

1. says

OMG! Never thought about doing something like this before! This is so dang cute :) I bet you could do some really cute Christmas ones too–red and green stripes, polka dots and sparkles. I like the layering of different colors and textures. Awesome way to spice up the yard! Pinning this fo sho!

• says

Christmas ones would be great! The possibilities really are endless, only limited by our imaginations. I've already thrifted alot more great stuff for more plate flowers. It's fun and addictive! Thanks so much for visiting!

2. says

These are so adorable!! I found you via Classy Clutter through my personal blog, Revolutionaries. I don't want to sound like a commercial because my intention in coming to your site was to see your project, but I also write for Crafting a Green World and they do a green crafts showcase every month for projects like this. You should enter– we would love to feature you!! Here's the info if you're interested: http://craftingagreenworld.com/green-crafts/

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries

3. says

Tuula I love these I have been drooling over some metal ones at the Yellow Daisy Festival here at Stone Mountain for years, They are $50 each so going to try this! Thanks for linking them up!

4. says

Those are so cute! I thought about doing something like this, but wasn't sure if they would hold up. Maybe using reflective paint a little so they can be used instead of those ugly things that are near driveways to guide people? We have them and I'm not a fan. Found you on Homemaker on a Dime and following :).

5. says

Just beautiful. And so thrifty. I have purchased a few of these at our local garden art fair and as much as I love them, I have to say yours are just as pretty and at a fraction of the cost! Nice work.

• says

Thanks Jody! I really enjoy using things in new ways. All these things were tucked away and not being used. Now I see them every day out in the garden. Thanks so much for visiting! I'll be sure to stop by your blog again soon.
      Tuula :)

6. says

You have a great idea here,where would you fine the Marine GOOP adhesive. I haven't been able to fine a glue that will hold to the back of my plates I want to hang on the wall, have tryed two kinds so far with out any luck.

• says

Thanks! I found the Marine GOOP at WalMart, in the crafts section where the Gorilla Glue etc are. It took longer to cure than some other options I've tried in the past, but since it cured it's been holding strong. My plates have only been outside for about a week, but I've had a birdbath out for almost a month and it's holding great. I hope you find it and it works for you. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!

7. Anonymous says

You did an awesome job on these! I have seen them in other peoples gardens and didn't know how they did them! Yours are beautiful! Ana

8. says

How pretty and creative! I love how you used all the different bits and pieces to create the different parts of the flower! Thanks for sharing this week at GKWI!

9. says

I cannot even tell you how much I LOVE this idea, Whimsical fun and unexpected – my kind of craft! I will be featuring this tomorrow night on my big ole compilation of tickled pink features.

• says

Thanks so much Holly! These were a lot of fun to make. I'm thrilled about the feature and I'm looking forward to seeing it! I'm a regular reader of your blog and love it. Thanks so much for visiting and following.

10. Anonymous says

Excited to find this tutorial, as I saw these at a craft fair and decided the $25 to $35 price tag was too steep for me. I dont quite understand why you had to angle the posts on a paint can tho, are the stems not totally straight. I sooo want to make these as Christmas gifts.

• says

I'm so glad you like my plates! The reason to slightly angle the stems is to get a flat surface on the backs of the plates. The plates all had raised edges on their bottoms so there was no way for the stems to sit flat without bending them slightly so the glue would adhere. Also, I think they just look nicer slightly angled rather than just straight up and down. More like real flowers. These would make great Christmas gifts because every one can be unique. Thanks so much for visiting!

11. says

These are sooo AWESOME! I just all your garden crafty inspirations.. I really am going to have to grab one of them and create something beautiful for my garden!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

12. gdean says

These are SO cool. My mom passed away and I'd like to keep all her glassware but I don't have the room to store it. This is a great way to use them and remember her every time I see them. Did you use the marine goop to secure the glass pieces together? What else could I use for the stems?

• says

That would be such a wonderful way to use your mother's glassware. Such a sweet idea! Yes I did use the marine goop to hold the glass pieces together. I used what I had for the stems, but you could go to the hardware store and see what types of pipes could be used. Maybe copper plumbing piping might work, but I haven't tried that myself.

13. says

I had to smile when I saw your flower plates! I made dozens of them last summer. Have a ½ doz in my flower beds, but couldn't give them away, let alone sell them. I'd tell everyone it was the only flower that wouldn't die and would keep it's beauty all summer long. I think they just saw them as "junk". There loss, my gain. But you can only have so many of your own. I also made what we called "yard art" out of recycled glass pieces. ONe I liked so well, I had my husband put a light in and it's a nite lite in the guest bedroom. I'll try to post a cple of pictures.

14. Bernice says

Tuula, I probably have asked this before on Hometalk, maybe not. How are you putting them in the ground? Someone else's post said she used cement, well, I am not doing cement. I am assembling some now, but not gluing until I find a way to secure them in the ground without them eventually falling over. Hope you can help me. I love them!

• says

Hi Bernice. Thanks so much for stopping by! To stake the flowers into the ground just make sure that whatever you're using for stems are long enough so they go down deep. I would make sure they go down into the ground by at least a foot. I don't like to affix anything into the ground permanently because I have winter here and I don't want them to leave them out in the elements. Also, I don't use any items that I cherish too much in case there's a freak storm or something, and if you're worried about wind place them in areas you know are protected. It's very windy here,and mine were fine last year until I took them in for the winter, but every location is different. I hope this helps!!
      Tuula :)

15. says

These are so cute,it's a great way to use & preserve the memories of gramma's plates.
    I wrote a book called The Twisted Garden, check it out on amazon.com.
    I just set up a website – thetwistedgarden.blogspot.com, stop over!
    I love rummaging around in thrift shops 😉
    cindi

16. says

Cute. I made a bunch for a craft show last yr. I used copper bell hangers (Lowe's in the plumbing section) glued on the back. Then opened the screw, put on the poles, and screwed it down.

17. says

I use hockey pucks with a hole drilled into the side and insert a piece of rebar into the hole. I don't have a source for used hockey pucks but buy the cheapest ones I can get. The rebar can be inserted into a copper pipe if you want that look for your flower. They look nice stuck into a stack of planted pots.